Skip to main contentor please stop by one of our convenient locations.
Locations | Contact Us | About Us | Privacy Statement
Elkhorn Valley Bank
Elkhorn Valley Bank & Trust Offers 7 Tips to Avoid Online Fraud
Elkhorn Valley Bank & Trust, Norfolk NE – Every year, millions of consumers fall victim to cybercrime. According to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center, in 2014, consumers lost more than $800 million from scams initiated through the web. In recognition of Internet Safety Month in June, Elkhorn Valley Bank & Trust is highlighting seven tips to help consumers protect themselves from online fraud. The Internet has become one of the most popular tools used to commit fraud and criminals are becoming more and more sophisticated with their hacking techniques. As a result, it’s extremely important for consumers to secure their wireless networks and filter the amount of personal information they choose to divulge online. Elkhorn Valley Bank & Trust recommends the following tips to keep you safe online:
• Keep your computers and mobile devices up to date. Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats. Turn on automatic updates so you receive the newest fixes as they become available.
• Set strong passwords. A strong password is at least eight characters in length and includes a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
• Watch out for phishing scams. Phishing scams use fraudulent emails and websites to trick users into disclosing private account or login information. Do not click on links or open any attachments or pop-up screens from sources you are not familiar with.
• Forward phishing emails to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at firstname.lastname@example.org – and to the company, bank, or organization impersonated in the email.
• Keep personal information personal. Hackers can use social media profiles to figure out your passwords and answer those security questions in the password reset tools. Lock down your privacy settings and avoid posting things like birthdays, addresses, mother’s maiden name, etc. Be wary of requests to connect from people you do not know.
• Secure your internet connection. Always protect your home wireless network with a password. When connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, be cautious about what information you are sending over it.
• Shop safely. Before shopping online, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with https. Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.
Bank Borrow Protect Trust Invest Info
The website you have selected is an external one located on another server. Elkhorn Valley Bank & Trust has no responsibility for any external website. We neither endorse the information, content, presentation, or accuracy nor make any warranty, express or implied, regarding any external site.
Your privacy is very important to us. We would like to advise you that Internet email is not secure. Please do not submit any information that you consider confidential. We recommend you do not include your social security or account number or other specific identifying information.